Monday, December 11, 2006

And the beat goes on . . .


I'm in Panama City, in my room at the Hotel Milan, watching Panamanian TV. I don't understand a word of the Spanish dialogue, but there are beautiful women galore in the program, so I don't mind. My room costs $33.00 for the night. It is a nice little hotel, right in the centre of the city.

It's hot and humid here. A couple of days before I left my home in London, Ontario, about 24 inches of snow dropped from the skies, so this is a welcome change. Tomorrow morning, it's off to Rovira Arriba and Boquete, with a rented Daihatsu Terrio, a fun little 4WD SUV.

I had planned originally to catch a flight to David, near Boquete, as soon as possible after arriving in Panama City, and then rent a car there. An investor in our project was scheduled to arrive in Panama City tonight, so I offered to stick around to meet him, and then take him on a cross-country tour of Panama tomorrow. The 6 - 7 hour drive to Boquete would have given us a chance to get to know each other. Sadly, Bob's mother died, and he is staying at home in Missouri to do what every good boy should do -- be there for mom one last time. Sorry about your loss, Bob. We'll do the Panama tour another time.

I decided to do the long drive tomorrow anyway, by myself. I'm the kind of guy who likes a lot of solitude, and I'll use the driving time to ponder life and count my blessings.

Life is fleeting, isn't it? I got an email on Saturday from Sergey, my newly discovered relative in Russia. His father had just died the night before. We're here one moment and gone the next. Our life stops, but the world goes on. It's all very sad.

Excuse me, while I go cry in my beer. Actually, I think I'll just enjoy some more Latin pulchritude on TV. Maybe that'll cheer me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment