Friday, July 11, 2008

Up, up and away

Like Superman in the old black and white TV days, I will be "up, up and away" to Panama this weekend. It's business, mostly, and maybe a little fun too, if I can spare the time.

The graphic above shows the layout of our Roca Milagro development near Rovira Arriba in Panama. It has been a little over two years since we bought the property. Now, road construction is underway at the site and things are moving ahead nicely. Hurrah!

I used to own a Superman belt buckle when I was much younger. It helped hold up my jeans for years. It's not that I have ever seen myself as superhuman, it was more a reminder to me that in order to move ahead and accomplish anything in life one generally has to expend superhuman effort. Do nothing, gain nothing. Do a bit, gain a bit. Do a lot, gain a lot. I have always believed that.

It helps to have people around you that you can depend on, individuals who have skills and talents you personally don't possess. I have been fortunate in that respect. I am grateful. Super-grateful.

I had a chat with my son a few days ago. I explained to him that I have this huge 'to-do' list and that one of my greatest fears is that I won't be able to do all of the things I want to do, visit all the places I wish to, experience all of the pleasures that I would like. Getting older, to use the common vernacular, sucks. Never having done anything interesting or exciting or even crazy (to some observers) would, I suspect, suck more. I have done a lot, travelled a lot, experienced a lot. I have stubbed my toes and bumped my head many times. That is how we learn. Life, as they say, is not a rehearsal. We have one chance at it and then we die. Happy thought, isn't it?

I'm not planning on departing this earth anytime soon.

I am looking forward to seeing our project, seeing some of my partners again, and meeting some new people while I am in Panama. Maybe I'll have time to go riding, if I can find someone who will lend or rent me a horse. That would be nice.

Unlike Superman, I can't fly. I can still walk, but riding is more fun. Excuse me while I add finding a horse to ride in Panama to my to-do list.

6 comments:

  1. Can I stow away in a suitcase?
    Seriously though...Why bother going if you're not planning on having at least a little fun. That place is too beautiful to not take in some leisure.
    BTW, I got dibbs on the other side of the street. A development that big wouldn't be complete without a strip mall nearby, or have I just lived in the States too long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you say stip mall or strip club? Either way, you're welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. very cool. it's taking shape! Good luck finding your horsie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great profile pic, phlegmfatale! You look like you are a serious bundle of mischief!!

    This has been an eventful and pleasurful trip. I did go ridng on our land and on another adjacent parcel we just picked up, but buying a horse will be left to another time.

    Wanna go riding? Bring your spurs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't remember how I found your blog, but I've been following your progress for a couple of years now, and it has been a fascinating experience. Please continue to post - I am excited for your progress and I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Fernando. It is always gratifying to find that someone is actually interested in my disjointed ramblings. I'll keep writing!

    ReplyDelete