Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Taking 'it' with you, sort of.

One of the reasons people are flocking to Panama is for an affordable retirement. With prices quite low compared to what we are used to in North America and Europe, it is easier to maintain a comfortable lifestyle as we prepare to ride off into that final sunset. I know we can't take 'it' with us when we go on to the next world, whatever 'it' means to each of us, but for those of us who prefer a saddle over riding bareback, perhaps we might be allowed to saddle our apocalyptic mount with one of the Panamanian saddles pictured above. I asked the proprietor of the saddlery the price of the saddles shown and he said $105.00. That can't be right, can it? I had him repeat the sum for me, and I'm sure that's what he said. How much are similar saddles where you live? They are at least five times that amount here in Ontario, I think.

Of course, I would rather saddle up a horse of flesh and blood, rather than a phantom steed assigned to take me to my just reward, so I would look to purchase a suitable mount in Panama. One of the horses shown here, near Cerro Punta, would likely serve my purpose just fine.


While riding my horse in the warm Panamanian sun, I might have need of some cool refreshment. How about an ice cream cone for 25 cents, as advertised on the sign above? Sounds good to me. My friends in Boquete were complaining that ice cream cones had gone up from 25 cents to 35 cents at one of the local hangouts. What a shame!

A dollar goes a long way in Panama. The line forms over there.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like Thailand. But the thing is that we need to keep this stuff quiet or everyone in the universe is going to show up and ruin it. :)


    Peace,

    ~Chani

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough, Chani. However, it would be nice if a bunch of like-minded people got to enjoy that dream place, wherever it might be, together. I have met some really nice people in Panama and the friends and partners who are joining me in our enterprise are very nice too. Even a loner like me enjoys good company on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not been familiar with Panama (at all) until you exposed it to us through your blog. I must say, it does look intriguing. An ice cream for 25 cents? I'd take that over a $150 saddle any day. But, then again, I'm not much of a horse rider. I could, however, picture myself reading in any of the scenic photographs you show. How about books? Are they cheaper in Panama? Are you running into lots of retired teachers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phlegmfatale; (how I love that handle of yours) it is cool indeed, and someone with your experience in real estate and rentals management could probably make a killing there.

    Bellezza: There is a used book store near Boquete with over 20,000 volumes in the English language. The deal is that after you read anything, you can sell it back to the store for 50% of what you paid. I personally haven't met any teachers there yet, but I am sure there must be some because the stream of people heading there to retire from North America and Europe is increasing steadily. And there are many beautiful places to read, if you can tear your eyes away from the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many places in the world have become more and more attractive to westerners. panama is certainly getting hotter. good for you for making it happen now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying, unsuccessfully to comment regarding your Panama trip. But every time I get started it looks too lengthy. I'll try my best to keep it short.

    My abuela was from Ecuador. She met and married my abuelo (who was Italian) in Panama. So my mom was born in Panama. Seeing the pictures you posted and what you wrote, took me wayyyyy back to my early childhood. Every year during our summer break, my grandma would take my sister and I to visit our family in Panama. I have such wonderful memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane...

    I was trying to see exactly where Rovira Arriba is located, but couldn't find it. I'm familiar with Chiriqui, Republica de Panama, Chorrera, Taboga,Rio Mar and Coronado. Those are the names I remember, but I have extended family throughout Panama.

    Once again, thanks for the trip down memory lane...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady g~ -- Rovira Arriba is just a few kilometers west of the road that connects David and Boquete, about an hour from the Costa Rican border. It is a magical, beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete