Friday, April 29, 2005

The Meaning of it All

This morning, I thought I saw something moving outside my kitchen window. I looked more carefully and saw a huge hawk viciously shredding a bird or small animal in my back yard. I watched for a while and was struck with the speedy and efficient shredding and consumption of the hawk's breakfast.

It think it was a Broad-winged Hawk, but I'm not sure.

There are always turkey vultures circling high above our village and the surrounding countryside. On the way to work in the morning I have seen deer, fox, wild turkey and numerous other birds and small critters. The diversity of nature amazes and delights me. The savagery of nature, however, is one of those things that makes me wonder about the meaning of it all.

A discussion with my son, when he was nine years old, about the meaning of life and whether or not there might be an omnipresent and omnipotent God somewhere, produced an explanation from him as good as any I have heard from any theologian or philosopher.

Why are we here? His answer: God was bored.

Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment