Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Onward

I can't believe that it has been two weeks since I wrote my last blog post. Every time I go to Panama, I come back reinvigorated with a long list of things that need to get done, so I have been very busy, immersed in stuff. Isn't 'stuff' a neat word? It can act as a lazy person's verbal shortcut; a descriptor used when there is no time (or talent) for elaboration. So, I have been working on stuff. Lots of stuff. Boring stuff, exciting stuff, even some disappointing stuff. How's that? Is that enough detail?

No? Okay then: Here's a little more. Cocktails in Boquete appears to be dead. I say "appears to be" because I suppose there is some hope of a reincarnation somewhere and somewhen, but not right now. Two parties are in dispute and we, the Canadian investors, are caught in the middle. It is not a big thing for us, financially, but it is disappointing because Cocktails, in the few short days of its life, was a fun and vibrant place. I will miss it. Still . . . Next! Or, as one of my Canadian partners put it: "We'll keep poking along. Shit happens. Onward."

I have never been one for post mortems. When something is dead, why agonize over its demise? It's gone. It's time for another chapter or at the very least another verse in the same chapter. I was having a logo designed for the bar by graphics students at a local college and when I get it I will still look for an opportunity to use it in the future, hopefully in a building I own (with my partners, if they still want another go-round after this experience) and with no strange entanglements with landlords and no bizarre supply arrangements. I will miss 'Pete.' He is off somewhere regrouping. I wish him well.

And, so life goes on. It is another cold and dreary day in London, Ontario, but I am listening to some gypsy jazz, mostly by Bireli Lagrene or The Rosenberg Trio, and that is keeping me warm. Now, if only the sun would shine.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that all didn't go as planned. That just means that God has better things in store for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a trooper. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out but I have every confidence that you will be into a half dozen other ventures before you know it. So you might as well keep the logo handy for new 'stuff'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, well, poop. It would have been nice for Boquete. Glad none of you got too bent out of shape. 'Cept for Pete, of course, as he had a good lot more than money invested. When a bulldozer squishes your dream into a muddy road and drives on, it can take some time to regroup. Hope Pete pops up again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? And yes, I hope Pete surfaces again. I like him; he is a real character and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sieg,
    Buy the joint, cover it over (tarp, not dirt) and let it set til your development's full...There'll be so much business, you won't believe it:
    I used to live in an upscale community where the neighborhood association would only allow ONE tavern, so they built it right next to the golf course and called it The Sand Trap...
    The place stands to this day, is rather small, but NEVER empty unless it's closed!
    What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting point, Ted. The place is, unfortunately, a twenty-five minute drive from our development, but there is a big future in the area for trendy bars and bistros. Patience, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. I had been wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since Panama seems to be one of the few remaining places on earth where an American Dollar will buy a lot (thanks to "Our Dear Leader") maybe I should start putting aside daily change, and...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see you and more freedom lovers in Panama. One of our shareholders has taken to calling our development 'Galt's Gulch,' and with the percentage of us who are libertarian politically and philosophically it is a fairly accurate portrayal.

    ReplyDelete