Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Eduard Pedde, R.I.P.

Julius, Eduard and Adolf Pedde, ca. 1971

Pedde Brothers, sometime in 1930's:
Eduard, Adolf, Otto
Gustav, Julius
_____________________________________________________

I’m not hooked up to the internet as I write this. I don’t know when I will be able to post these words, but I do want to write down my thoughts. It is late at night, February 27, 2008.

I am still in Boquete, Panama, but will be flying from David to Panama City tomorrow, and then from there back to Toronto the following morning. I have had a great time in Panama, but there is a place, aside from being home with my family, where I would also like to be right now: Kelowna, British Columbia. That’s where my last remaining uncle, from my father’s side of the family, lived. He died yesterday. He was ninety-eight years old, having reached that remarkable milestone last December 31.

My uncle Eduard was a kind, gentle man. The five Pedde brothers who made it into adulthood were like that. I met four of the men. I liked them all. Gustav, the oldest brother, I never met. He disappeared during World War II and was never seen again. My father Julius was next, then (I'm not really sure of the order) Eduard, Otto and Adolf. Now there are none. Of fourteen siblings, one sister, Maria, survives in Germany. Six siblings grew old, one died as a young man in World War II, seven more died in infancy.

Horst and Richard, I wish I could be with you. Your father was a good man. I remember the many times I stayed with your family when you were all still living in Toronto. I have fond memories of your father that I will carry with me until I too pass on. I am in Panama right now and simply can't make it to the funeral, but my thoughts are with you.

Eduard Pedde, RIP.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your uncle. It's nice to see your photos from the old days though. I always appreciate that type of thing. Our family has some albums of really old photos, and I hope to inherit them someday. I'm kind of the family collector. I already have many of the old objects from the family history, and hope to get more as I am able to.

    Perhaps more happy circumstances will bring you out to BC someday anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences on the loss of your uncle. The pictures you posted are great reminders of him, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trooper: I used to love looking at old pictures when I was a kid. It is a good thing to be able to keep continuity by passing things along to each new generation.

    Bellezza: Thanks. My father and his brothers were very close and they set a great example for us all to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An old soldiers' saying goes "When a man dies, a world is destroyed". To me, especially with those who are advanced in years and still sharp of mind, it's like the Sarapaeum burning down all over again.
    May God comfort you in your loss, and move you quickly from bereavement to fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ted. The old guard is leaving and we are taking their place. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eduard sounded like a wonderful man. I loved the top photo of the three brothers - they looked like they were having the absolute best of times together on the lawn. How many brothers are ever that close?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss, Sieg.
    I also have wonderful old family photos. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lin & Jean. I always liked my father's brothers. They were uncomplicated and sincere. I miss them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been blessed with family memories and the tangibles..the pics. Be sure to pass on the family legends to your son. I regret not getting more stories from my Dad's siblings.. these are so rich and valuable.

    My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. History is meant to be learned from, even family history. It gives us all context, where we're from and how we've fared along the way. You're right, memories are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete