Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Yeah, I'm still here

I haven't had much time for blogging recently. I'm trying to get caught up on 'things' so I can take a brief vacation. It's off to Ottawa and Montreal for one week. My wife teaches French and wants to buy some French teaching materials in Montreal. My son is in a French immersion school and could use some exposure to the language in a real-world environment. We also send him to German School on Saturdays. I hope to use that as an excuse to take him to Germany sometime in the next couple of years, before he thinks it's not 'cool' to spend time with Mom and Dad.

It hasn't always been easy for me to take a holiday. For years, whenever I took a few days off, it would take me several days to relax to the point where I could enjoy myself. It's easier now. I get to spend time doing interesting things, in interesting places, with my wife and son. Life is so short that we need to appreciate the world around us and to enjoy it with people who are close to us.

That means I'm packing tonight. Maybe, in among all the driving and the stops we plan to make, I'll get a chance to read some of the books that are piling up on the table beside my chair in our family room. Ann Coulter, P. J. O'Rourke, Thomas Sowell. Old Reason magazines. Maybe even 'Unintended Consequences' by John Ross.

And I guess I better not forget my reading glasses.

'See' you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment