Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Marc Is In the News Again

If you live in or near London, Ontario, you have heard of Marc Emery. He was frequently in the news years ago, when he was active in the Freedom Party. He is in the news again. From a news release issued by the Libertarian Party of Canada:

August 9, 2005 - Ottawa, Ontario
On July 29, the RCMP arrested Marc Emery, Leader of the British Columbia Marijuana Party along with fellow activists Michelle Rainey-Fenkarek and Gregory Williams. These arrests were the result of a U.S. Federal Grand Jury indictment on charges of Conspiracy to Distribute Marijuana, Conspiracy to Distribute Marijuana Seeds and Conspiracy to Engage in Money Laundering. Since Marc Emery is alleged to have sold many of his seeds to U.S. customers, the investigation in Canada was actually led by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration under the terms of the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty.

The most disturbing fact is that the U.S. Attorney's Office has filed an extradition request with the Canadian government that all three Canadians be brought to Seattle to stand trial. If convicted in the U.S. on either of the marijuana charges, they could face
cruel prison sentences ranging from a minimum of 10 years to life in prison.

I met Marc years ago, when he was still living in London. I admired his energy and his convictions, even if I didn't always agree with him on every issue. More people should act on their convictions and stand up to be counted. Anyone who knows me also knows my position on drugs. I don't know why anyone would use them, even a relatively harmless drug like marijuana. I think people who take drugs are weak and pitiful. I think that anyone who can't make it through the day without a toke or a fix or a sip of booze, should do something to make their life more palatable, instead of resorting to chemicals or booze as a crutch. I also don't believe that it is any of my business if Dick or Jane down the street smoke a joint. I am entitled to my opinion. I am not entitled to force others to live their lives as I would. It definitely is no business of any government what anyone ingests. Drug laws are wrong. Drug laws are stupid.

If you feel, as I do, that Emery is being railroaded, send some money, make some noise.

Thanks

1 comment:

  1. No Canadian should be tried in the US for something so unaffecting. This is ridiculous. It makes me so angry that I can't even comment any more than that.

    ReplyDelete