Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Impressions... #3

All good things come to an end. Even holidays. The drive home from anywhere is always anticlimactic. Been there, done that. What's up at home? Is the house still standing? Has the yard been tended to? What's happening at work? Is my management team still in place, or have they all won a share in a humongous lottery draw and left for the Caymans?

Of course, when I arrive back home from a trip, everything is always OK. And I never actually 'worry' about things while I'm away, having discovered many years ago that worry only makes things worse and is a complete waste of time.

The highlight of the trip home from the United States to Canada came as we neared Buffalo, New York. There, completely unexpected, on my side of the road, was a Tim Hortons restaurant. My heart leapt with joy and I pulled into the parking lot. My son, surprised, uttered something like: "Thank you, God, for Americans," which my wife and I interpreted as meaning that he was glad that Americans had finally realized that no street, anywhere, is complete without at least one Tim Hortons restaurant.

For those of you without a Tim Hortons within a block or two of your home or business, how do you survive? Forget Starbucks. Forget Second Cup. Forget Dunkin' Donuts. Canadians live to drink Tim Hortons coffee. The donuts and sandwiches are OK and my son loves their soups.

Ahhhh. Mmmmm. That's good. Thirty minutes and a cup of coffee and a raisin tea biscuit later, I was all set to drive the remaining three hours home. Home to my lovely yard and gardens, to my office and the work I love, to my computer and this blog.

Everything is well in the world. At least for now.

Don't get too accustomed to this mellow version of me. Tomorrow is another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment