Friday, July 23, 2004

What Am I Doing Here?

What am I doing here? Well, in the cosmic sense, I don't know any more about why we are 'here,' or the answer to the ever-puzzling 'meaning of life' question than you do. Of course, if you are somehow privileged to know the answers to these timeless questions, point me to your own 'blog' or website and I will sit at your cyber-feet and listen and learn.

We all know some things because we have first-hand empirical evidence that supports our knowledge. Sometimes, we believe in something because someone else has told us that it is so. Then it becomes a matter of faith, a belief in the veracity of whoever has told us whatever it is they want us to believe. Because I have no empirical evidence indicating to me why we are 'here,' I won't trouble you with a metaphysical discussion today.

What I meant in the title question to this post is why am I here, specifically pontificating on this blog. Don't I have anything better to do? Do I believe that my observations and opinions have value enough to be read by others?

I have lots to do. But I also believe that I have things to say and I am taking the time to say them. Whether or not you believe that my thoughts have merit is entirely up to you.

I don't want to simply chronicle the minutiae of my life, second by second and thereby bore the reader (and myself) into a stupor. I also don't want to comment, necessarily, on every act of foolishness perpetrated by every politician or other miscreant. There are, already, lots of other bloggers and commentators doing that.

So, what do I want to do? I want to speak about the things that touch me. The things that disappoint me. The things that infuriate me. The things that frighten me. That will keep me very, very busy in the few moments I can spare to write here on this blog.

If anyone should wish to read more of my ramblings, they are available on my website at Pedde.net.

I always welcome challenges and comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment